[meteorite-list] Holy crap-- can anyone confirm this? Any, vikingson the list?

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 11 14:18:01 2006

Sterling K. Webb wrote:

> Compare to Tunguska in date and lattitude

Date okay, but what has latitude to do with it? There is no reason at all why
atmospheric entry of objects from the beta Taurid stream (if Tunguska was
related to this stream at all!) would be restricted to high northern latitudes.
In fact it is not even restricted to the northern hemisphere

> BetaTaurids are daylight fireballs (it was "daylight" there).

The beta Taurid radiant was barely over the horizon (only a few degrees) and it
was close to local midnight (albeit with midnight sun, yes).

> Check sky over Norway (rough radiant on E horizon;
> anti-radiant on W horizon; they come both ways.)

Wrong. They only come from the radiant and move *towards* the anti-radiant.

> Sounds as if fireball went west to east if seen in Finnmark
> then impacted in Troms. (Tunguska went west to east.)

Again: wrong. Tunguska for what we know of it went southeast to northwest. And
fireballs from the same source for the Norwegian time and location should move
northeast to southwest, not west to east.

Besides: the reports so far do really not give any clear clue as to direction of
the Norwegian fireball.

I am curious to know whether the seismic data point to an airblast or a real
impact (that is not yet clear to me). Not everything giving of strong sonic
booms ends on the ground, you know.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek