[meteorite-list] Re: Norway Meteorite Impact Site Believed to be Found

From: Herbert Raab <herbert.raab_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 13 14:47:34 2006

Sterling K. Webb writes:

> You don't get a seismic event from an airburst unless it
> really big or very close to the ground (and to get close to
> the ground, you have to be big, so it's the same thing).

I dunno a lot about the physics of a fireball, but I remember
reading the paper: "Entry Dynamics and acoustics/infrasonic/seismic
analysis for the Neuschwanstein meteorite fall" by ReVelle, Brown
and Spurny (MAPS Vol. 39, 2004, pp.1605-1625). The paper says:

"In addition to having been detected infrasonically at Freyung,
the airwave from the Neuschwanstein fireball was recorded directly
on at least nine seismic stations near the fireball endpoint. [...]
In all cases, these seismic data show the direct expression of the
airwave compressing the ground near the seismic station." I doubt
that the impact of the three ~2kg stones of that fall could have
generated any significant seismic signal.

  Greetings,
    Herbert Raab