[meteorite-list] norwegian fall

From: Armando Afonso <armandoafonso_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 14 10:15:34 2006

Did someone see it glowing all the way to the ground? For sure?
That is normally an ilusion.
What is seen to glow in a meteor, is not the incandescence of the meteoroid,
but the cloud of ionized gases around it, many thousands times larger than
the stone in itself.
The meteorites fall at a slower speed than that, maybe 200mph, too. Unless
we are speaking of something really very, very big.
>From where came the idea that we are in presence of asteroid sized body?
>From that single article?
AA

If a meteor was incandescent enough to be seen all the way to the ground, we
are talking about something quite large...in the range of ten tons or more.
This also would mean when it hit, it was traveling something in the
neighborhood of 9,000 mph or faster. When something this size and velocity
hits the earth, there should be one heck of a whack...Which comes to my
puzzlement...how come there are still healthy looking plants immediately
surrounding the "bleme" in the photo? I think there probably was a meteorite
dropped somewhere, but it was nowhere near the size to be seen hitting the
ground...unless a witness just happened to be standing nearby. I also doubt
any meteorite of lesser mass and velocity produced the so called "bleme".
george Zay