[meteorite-list] norwegian fall

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 14 10:19:40 2006

Hi, Bjorn,

    Thanks. There's nothing like local knowledge!
I lamented that the news photo didn't show us the
area below the spot, or some wider view, which
would have made this obvious.

    Did I identify you as Swedish in an earlier
post of mine? If so, apologies. A slight pause
while I remove my foot from my mouth (an old
expression).

    Chris, Mike, and company were correct,
then -- just a rock fall. I love digging into these
stories of great new falls and watch them slowly
unravel like a cheap sweater...

    This information (and the crazy translation
of the seismography page) makes an airburst
seem more likely, so I guess I'll go back to the
Melosh model and try to coax an airburst out
of it that can be heard 200 kilmeters away...

    I was most interested in the part that says,
"So it's a very usual phenomenon in this area,
which was associated unrightfully with the
exploding and rolling sounds between the
valley sides." That is a great description of
a big airburst. But further, it implies a low
altitude for the source.

    If it was at 30 to 50 kilometers up (which
is where most of the airbursts I got in the
Melosh model were), the sound waves would
be mostly perpendicular to the flat valley floor
and bounce straight back up, attentuating the
echoes. But if it were at a lower altitude, the
shock waves would reverberate more in
the valley. (Google Earth shows the mountains
on either side as only 1000 meters or so, a
shallow valley with a flat bottom.)

    Giving up on impact, going for the airburst...

Sterling K. Webb