[meteorite-list] Sale: LUNARMETEORITE.COM Domain name for sale onEbay

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jun 16 12:10:17 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 06:49:45 -0400, you wrote:

>>in which case I owe you an apology!
>
>I think you owe the list an apology.

Nope. I've stuck my foot in my mouth on the list more times than I would like,
but I stand firmly behind what I'm saying this time. I posted the list of URLs
(some of them offensive) that he was trying to auction off to show that this
isn't just some guy who had that one collecting name and tired of it.

Here's how finding a domain name SHOULD go, and was intended to go:

1.) look for variation of name that you want
3.) pay small fee to own that name

it was NOT intended to be

1.) look for variation of name that you think someone else might want
2.) buy that name even though you don't need it
3.) sit on it until someone else wants it
4.) demand vastly larger sum of money for it
5.) pretend that you are doing the person a favor by selling it to them

Domain name scalpers/squatters are a scourge of of the internet, and are scum.
The $500 he wants for the Lunar meteorite web name may not sound much, but it is
a lot more than the $2.00 - $20.00 you would have to pay if the name wasn't
being squatted on by a scalper (scalped on by a squatter?) and nobody should be
encouraging that kind of parasitism by paying him one penny. This guy trying to
sell domain names happened to be a petty small-timer who likes teen porn, but
the big-time scalpers snatch up millions of domain names and hold them hostage,
and the racket really needs to be criminalized. Some aspects of it already are
liable to civil action
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticybersquatting_Consumer_Protection_Act.

If you don't want a domain name for your personal use, leave it alone for
someone who does!