[meteorite-list] Re: Wanted Meteorites with Craters

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Jun 18 02:05:41 2006

Hi Mike,

Try this page I made some time ago:

http://www.meteorites.com.au/features/funkysa.html

This topic has been discussed on the list before and there are a number of
theories on how they may have occured. Personally, I believe it happened
during mid-late stage atmospheric entry with the larger detonating pieces.
It's odd that about 90% of the SA impact pits I've seen are on the trailing
side of oriented individuals. I don't see how it would be possible to have
micro-meteoroid impact pits if 90%+ of the original mass is lost through
ablation.

I contacted someone who was into ballistic science once to see if they were
able to determine what sort of masses and velocities would be required to
produce these features but they never got around to it. Maybe someone on
this list is able to do it or knows someone who can?

Cheers,

Jeff