[meteorite-list] Meteorite from Jupiter-- uh, I mean TO Jupiter

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 21 18:06:14 2006

>>falling through -40°C air at ~100 m/s.

...striking the finder on his shoulder with only enough energy to entice a
mere "Who's there?!" out of him.

Not hard enough to require even one expletive to delete.

My question is this: Can a meteor that is travelling with enough velocity to
get a nice, black fusion crust, and with the dimensions indicated by the
article's picture, be slowed enough by any other possible influence (strong
cross winds, strong updrafts, striking several songbirds on the way down)
that it wouldn't go through human flesh, instead of just bumping [him]?

If the meteorite hit the roof of the house he was near, or branches of a
tree he might be near, one would think there would be some sound
accompanying his story.

Cheers,
Pete