[meteorite-list] Meteorite from Jupiter-- uh, I mean TO Jupiter

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 22 01:21:27 2006

It is certainly possible to devise entry scenarios where meteorites have
unusually large velocities. But I'd maintain these are rare cases, and a
fall such as I described (and the Noblesville) would be far more common. And
even in the case of the two Wethersfield falls, I'm not sure we can conclude
that the velocities were all that high. My reference for the 1971 fall says
nothing about the meteorite "zinging around", only that it penetrated the
roof and partially penetrated the plaster ceiling. Not unreasonable for a
350 g stone at terminal velocity. It was the 1982 fall that bounced around
inside, and that was 2750 g- obviously a lot higher KE even at a normal
terminal velocity.

And in the 19th century, people had their arms (or worse) amputated
sometimes for the most trivial of injuries, so I'm not sure what we can
conclude about that meteorite, either.

BTW, the 2004 Berthoud (Colorado) fall (960 g) was another whirrr, thud
event. It made a little dent in the ground, and might have been capable of
breaking an arm. A trivial injury today, but not necessarily 150 years ago.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com