[meteorite-list] Find spot-Fall spot-Google Earth-Mystery-Questions

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 28 01:31:23 2006

Hi, Walter, List

    The Catalog gives the find location as "Apex Gulch."
It goes on, "A single, crusted mass weighing 6.1g was
found during the excavation of an ancient Indian camping
site in the foothills west of Denver, five miles N of Morrison.
This site subsequently became known as the Magic
Mountain site." Though found in September of 1938,
it was not noticed that it was a meteorite until 1983.
Sharp-eyed guys, those anthropolgists... It's in the
Denver Museum.
    There is definitely something spooky about visiting an
old one-stone fall site. I live very near (eight miles) from
Benld, Illinois, where on the nicely coincident date of
Sept. 29, 1938, the 1770.5 grams of the BENLD
(H6) meteorite smashed through a garage roof, a car
roof, its back seat, floorboards, and ended up, intact,
sitting on the cracked concrete floor of the garage.
    It was the first recorded meteorite to hit a car, even
if the rock from the heavens did have to chase it into
the garage and nail it there! Good way to "break into
the Biz," though; it's now a star resident of the Field
Museum.
    I been to the old town newspaper in Benld, read
the article on the now yellowed front page of the next
morning's newspaper, and tried to find the address of
the house where it fell. I was only able to laboriously
pin it down to a 2-3 block square, still...
    I stood there on a hot summer afternoon and looked
at all those small neat plots of grass surrounding the
little 1920-30's 4- or 5-room bungalow houses. With all
the fuss of having your car perforated by a meteorite --
it must have created a furor among the neighbors -- do
you suppose anybody thought to look any OTHER
stones?
    I thought about an H6 going fast enough to puncture
roofs (garage and car). Why, if it hit grass and dirt, it
would be a foot deep or more (depending on how wet
or dry the soil). I wondered how much these folks would
mind a sort of neighbor (only eight miles away) going over
their yards with a metal detector? Hmm...
    Reality always has its little tricks up its sleeve. When
I struck up a conversation with the oldest still cognitive
resident I could find, I discovered that the New South
Subdivision, as it was called, had been built on a gulch
filled with the bulldozed remains of a burned-out and
bankrupt IRONWORKS!
    "Why," he said, "you can't even put in a garden, your
spade hits so much iron and brick and glass! No, this dirt
is no good for anything but grass. And it's even hard to get
grass to grow..." So, if there are kilos more of the famous
BENLD, they have chosen a really good hiding spot to
rust away in.
    It's not clear from the Catalog whether the sneaky little
APEX was found in a "cultural context," or just discovered
in the course of the dig.

Sterling K. Webb