[meteorite-list] Fraudulent Trade?

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 28 09:22:04 2006

Greetings,

Besides this particular case, there seems to be another dealer who sold
a specimen for a considerable amount of money that was suppose to be a
certain type of meteorite. The sale was done before the classification.
It was later learned that the meteorite was not what it was suppose to
be (class type) but a more common (but rare) class type.

When the buyer asked for a refund he was told that he should take it up
with the source that the dealer bought from and that he (the dealer)
didn't think he was liable. I am here to tell you that such
misrepresented classes by a dealer that is in good standing, YOU are
liable and should offer a refund. I think the buyer used bad judgment
but probably thought the dealer was better than that.

I have nothing in this transaction so as Michael said, it isn't any of
my business. I am very disappointed in this dealer. I am sure many will
ask for the name of the dealer but I won't mention this to anyone
individual. I would be glad to talk to the IMCA (at least a member I
respect) and give them the details. Such poor behavior can ruin it for
everyone.

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites