[meteorite-list] Email from Serge & Comet Meteorite Shop

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Jun 28 18:09:49 2006

Dear List Members,

Not long ago, there has been some discussion on this list about the people
of Comet Meteorite Shop, Russian dealers, etc., and some rumors even had it
that "we won't see the Russians again at future shows".

As you can see from the recent Ensisheim show reports, these rumors are not
true as there was a delegation of the Comet Meteorite Shop people at the
Ensisheim show, and at the St. Marie aux Mines shows. As always, they had a
great selection of meteorites from Dhofar, and other locations.

Anyway, the Comet Meteorite Shop people have been encountering problems, and
things haven't completely solved until now. So Serge Afanasiev asked me to
forward an explanation to the list so that you all get a better idea of
what's been going on in Russia, and what the problems are actually all
about. Please find Serge's post below.

All the best,
Norbert Classen

PS: Since Serge isn't on the list, anymore, I will also forward your replies
to him.

--------------------------------------

Dear List,

In late October 2005, me and my friends were going to the Munich show with a
lot of stuff. We were intending to go by car through Finland - we had plans
to visit the Muonionalusta site before travelling to Germany as we did prior
to the French shows in June 2005. We were stopped at the Russian-Finnish
border from our side. Prior to that we traveled a lot without encountering
any problems - we just said that we were traveling with stones and that was
enough. This time (we've noticed that later) our KGB was following us. We do
not know yet for whom it was so interesting to catch us, but that is the
fact. They said that this is a crime and arrested us.
After 2 days they let us free, but now I and one of my friends can't go out
of Russia.
It seems that it is some government idea to stop mineral business in Russia,
I do not know. I can't put a spot on somebody of Russian stone people as a
competitor who can be so angry for example personally with me. Nonsense. It
is not so much real competition here in Russia. I know 99% of all dealers.
The process is not finished yet. They press us very much. Everybody of the
mineral, fossil and meteorite people from Russia are very afraid to ship or
carry some stony goods abroad. All are waiting for the final outcome of our
situation. I know something about dino-eggs from China and the meteorite
situation in Australia. Maybe our situation is in line with that. But
certainly not that easy.
I really do not know what will happen later. But if they really will close
the Russian border for stones - that'll be a big problem for mineral
business in general, and not only for us Russians. Ok, I think that the
details about spending a lot of time in KGB and with lawyers isn't of much
interest to you, but just imagine that this is what we are dealing with now
and what we are thinking about most of the time.
It is actually strange that a small group of people (really not rich) is of
interest to the State. Our stones are not gold, not diamonds, not oil or
gas, nothing of strategic importance - you know what I mean. That's all for
now.
All the best, Serge