[meteorite-list] Fraudulent Trade? latin translated

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 29 01:24:58 2006

Hi, Svend, Doug, List

    Thanks for the translation, Svend. I was Googling
away looking for a translation when yours arrived in my
mailbox! (For good translations of many classical
texts, try the Classics Dept at MIT website, an odd
spot, but lots of good stuff.)

    While I really do think we lost something when
education stopped teaching the classics and spared us
all the pain of "amo, amas..." and learning all those
annoying greek letters, there is a limit to the wisdom
to be found in the ancients, somewhere in the vicinity
of the wall of irrevocable cultural difference.

    Here's one

    If I read it alright, the passage:
" Let no girl or boy within your worshipful
friend's marble threshold inflame your heart, lest
the owner of the pretty boy or dear girl make you
happy with a present so trifling or torment you if
disobliging."
    means:
" Don't get the 'hots' for your good buddies'
pretty boy or girl household slaves and get all
wrapped up in the thought of taking them back
home with you to serve as sex slaves for you,
because then your friends would have undue
influence over you, either to make you way too
happy with them or be really pissed off with them
if they turn you down flat."

    Wow! That's good advice, and so useful in
everyday life today... Yup, I agree 100%. I
never ask my friends for child sex slaves to take
home and abuse! I just don't do it anymore...
So up to date.

    Doug, I think your advice is better than old
Horace's! Why don't you write a book of letters?
Or is that what you're doing, on the List?

    Once, back in the Dawn Ages, in a very dull
lull in a 2nd year Greek class, I volunteered the idea
that, for educational purposes, we should just DUMP
the Greek alphabet; do the grammar, dictionaries, and
texts in standardized roman characters; we would all
learn the language at a rate 5 to 10 times faster, become
fluent and be thinking in it in 2-3 years, be reading up a
Thudycidian storm, THEN introduce the whacky
characters, which would be easy to learn IF we
already knew the language. I really thought that poor
old guy (much younger than I am now) that taught the
class was going to have a stroke! I got a memorable
tongue-lashing that lasted for... 10, 15 minutes? I
certainly remember it. I don't remember the Greek, but
I remember that very well.

    Not everything ancient is dated or out-of-date. Some
Persian prisoners, after the Battle of Marathon, who figured
they weren't going to be prisoners long because their vast
army would soon crush these silly Greeks soon, said to the
Greeks, "We don't get it. Why are you putting up this crazy
resistance. It makes no sense, and we don't understand what
you're fighting for. All men are subject to other stronger men;
what difference does it make whether they're Persian or
whatever?"
    And the Greek guards just looked at them like, you
poor dumb SOB's. Finally, one of the Greeks said, "We can't
explain it to you. You wouldn't understand because you've been
slaves all your lives, but if you'd ever been free for even one
day, you would fight to the death to stay that way, just like
we do."
    Over 2500+ years, and not dated in the least...

Sterling K. Webb