[meteorite-list]Feedback foibles on eBay

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 29 13:05:51 2006

Hi all,
        I would think there are as many attitudes about eBay
"feedback" as there are buyers and sellers. I, for one, consider
it close to meaningless. However, since negative feedback
is so damaging, I must admit if a seller or buyer has over
100 transactions and only one (maybe two) negatives, I do
feel more confident. I bought a VERY expensive lens from
a seller in Japan only because he had a huge # of feedbacks
and like one negative (maybe none).
        The only negative I ever got was from a rip off artist.
Of course I left him one (the only negative I ever left). So,
I sort of see it as a system based primarily on negatives. If
you don't have more than one or two you must be ok. I just
wait until I have about 5 in a row and my message board
on eBay comes to my attention and mark them all positive.
If they are exceptional (got it to me instantly or paid me
instantly via PayPal I give them an "A++++" - otherwise
a "smooth as silk" or the like). The point is:
1) I would bet over 99% of all negatives have a negative on
both sides of the transaction and it is nearly impossible to
know who screwed whom (because the screwer also lied about
it!)
2) It is essentially a system based on "rumor"
3) Everyone avoids ANY criticism except in the worst cases
because:
a) they know even the slightest critical comment will
weigh so heavily against the guy they don't want to besmirch
his reputation and
b) They guy will give them the deadly negative feedback in
return.
        So, Walter, that is the reasoning of at least one eBay buyer/seller,
as to why I don't rush like a mad man to leave feedback after every
transaction - and, as I said, the reasons are as numerous as there are
participants.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
The  happiest of people don't necessarily have the  best of everything; they
just make the most of everything that  comes along their way.