[meteorite-list] Morocco Meteorite Meeting

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jun 29 23:07:26 2006

I have been a bit out of the loop the past year as I
moved to new zealand, spend 6 months travelling,
missed ensisheim and St marie this year ect.
To me this sounds like more run of the mill scare
mongering that certain people keep bringing up
although I am well aware about certain museums efforts
to keep anything collectible away from collectors
hands at all costs and the hell with actual
preservation so I try to stay up on things.
Does anybody (Matteo - from your email you sound
familiar with this so maybe you can enlighten us more)
know anything about this "August meeting". In
particular who is having it? To me it sounds odd that
the moroccan king (The only person who's opinion
really matters) would advertise such an event to the
meteorite community if he figures we are all theives.
I know that right now under moroccan law there is no
problem exporting meteorites and that there is no
reason to hide the fact from customs that you are
exporting meteorites (My 400 kilo shipment a couple
months ago clearly stated "meteorites" on the export
certificate that was stamped by about 8 people at
moroccan customs).
This whole thing sounds fishy and yet more dreamed up
scaremongering to me.
However, if anybody has details please do enlighten us
all more. Many people on this list (Including myself)
would surely be interested in real information. Even
my partners in morocco would like to know as they
havent herd anything about it either. Maybe the
moroccan government (king) is warning foreigners but
keeping his own people in the dark? Plenty of holes in
this thread.
Sincerely
DEAN
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/