[meteorite-list] Ice Chunk Falls on Illinois Home

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 1 13:04:29 2006

http://www.nbc5.com/news/7517881/detail.html

Piece Of Sky Falls On Hegewisch Home
Man Watching 'Exorcist' When Chunk Falls
NBC 5 News (Chicago)
February 27, 2006

CHICAGO -- Steve McGreevy was sitting at home in Hegewisch on Sunday
watching a movie when a piece of the sky fell -- right on top of him.

"All of the sudden, I felt all of this stuff falling on me," McGreevy
said. "Then, after I freaked out for a minute, I got up and there was
this big cube somewhere in the front room, and a bunch of other stuff,
little ice cubes."

The house is located in the 13200 block of South Exchange Avenue.

McGreevy said he was watching the remastered version of the movie "The
Exorcist."

"They had scenes in that movie that they didn't have in the original
one, so it was better than the first one," McGreevy said. "And it was
scarier than the first one."

The chunk of ice crashed through the roof, through the insulation, and
crashed through the plaster. McGreevy's house was the only one that was hit.

The all-white large chunk of ice didn't appear to be chemically treated,
so it was not likely waste from an airplane, NBC5's Mary Ann Ahern reported.

McGreevy said he was saving the large piece of ice in his freezer for
his insurance company, Ahern reported.

"It could be something to do with global warming," McGreevy said. "It
could be something to do with the atmosphere. Maybe meteors comes
through, maybe it's been warm all this time and then this comes down."