[meteorite-list] Whole individual

From: jonee_at_epix.net <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 1 18:49:56 2006

Interesting topic as what was once taken for granted as description of a scientific nature is now micro minced for a "commercial" edge. To distinguish one's wares in an otherwise undistinguished field of wares, dealers will do the darnedest things.

Whether or not it is a ground breakage can usually be determined by matching up fragments and looking for tell-tale secondary fusion marks.

In one example a certain "dealer" obtained what appeared to be a complete individual "meteorite puzzle" --a meteorite that was fragmented into several (e.g 12-17?) fragments--All which could be reassembled to form one complete and whole individual. This was far more rare than the meteorite's petrology--something unique in itself to recover so many parts that all fit together to make a whole. I assume the dealer thought this was considerate of nature that the whole individual came pre-fragmented and no further breaking was necessary to list all the fragments on ebay! While it was his material to do with as he wished, this sent angst throughout the meteorite community that someone would be so short sighted as to place his sales count on ebay over the uniqueness of his acquisition. I am confident that several of any other collectors would have purchased the entire stone to keep it together had they been told the meteorite puzzle would have been so thoughtlessly parceled out!
  to different owners via ebay.

In a different situation, I think that Rob's Los Angeles Stones did fit together somewhat(?) indicating they had at traveled as one larger piece but broke apart during incandescent flight. I think that in this case we all agree that this resulted in two individuals.

Like pornography I guess , in the words of the supreme court justice..." I can't define pornography but, I know it when I see it".

Elton