[meteorite-list] WARNING: New twist on eBay spoof (scam)

From: R. N. Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Mar 4 03:35:18 2006

As I have not seen this posted yet, I will send this warning along.

It appears as if you are getting a message from an eBay member re: an
auction #6436472319. The sender wants a reply and the message form looks
quite real. In fact, it is an ebay message reply template. It may state
that they bid on one of your auctions and is a request for shipping rates,
it may be an inquiry about a non-delivered auction, or many other
variations. If you click to tell the person that it isn't your auction, you
will get a sign in screen requesting your ID and sign in password. THIS IS
NOT FROM EBAY. If you go to the actual auction number you will get a
warning message from the owner of that auction number who states that his
auction number was stolen, etc. and to beware of a very clever scam. If you
have done these things, best to change your password (and report it to
spoof_at_ebay.com).