[meteorite-list] OT: 1859 aurora in HI

From: ks1u <ks1u_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Mar 4 20:10:16 2006

Tracy:
      Unless there are other islands of the same name, the Sandwich Islands
with which I am familiar are just north of Antarctica in the South Atlantic.
It would not be unusual for them to get an Aurora but it would be an Aurora
Australis and not Borealis. I don't pay great attention to the Southern
Lights but I'm sure there are some sources on the internet which monitor
them. It would be unusual for Hawaii to get the Aurora although I have
never heard of it prior to your mention of it. I'll do some checking
myself, as you have peaked my interest. I monitor solar activity daily as
an amateur radio operator, because solar flux and sun spots determine the
MUF(maximum usable frequency) for worldwide radio communications, and part
of those charts include aurora.

George