[meteorite-list] strewnfield size vs entry angle

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Mar 5 12:02:13 2006

Hi Rob-

I think your methodology probably resulted in a biased formula. Falls
connected with witnessed fireballs are strongly associated with shallow
entry paths. Shallow paths produce multiple fragmentation events, or single
fragmentation events that extend over a long ground path. This results in a
strewn field that is more closely aligned with the entry path. As the path
becomes steeper, high altitude winds become more significant. For entry
angles greater than about 60? (from the vertical), winds are the dominant
factor in predicting the shape of the strewn field.

I need to use radiosonde data to estimate the potential strewn field for
most of the fireballs I track. Actually, the wind data is essential to
predict the _location_ of the field with respect to the fragmentation, and
usually important to predict the orientation and size of the strewn field.

Of course, my analysis is theoretical, not empirical. There simply isn't
enough data available to test the theory with any degree of statistical
significance. The number of falls that produced strewn fields with multiple
meteorites, and for which both atmospheric wind data and trajectory data are
available, can be counted on one hand.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory