[meteorite-list] Park Forest Fireball Question

From: dej257_at_att.net <dej257_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Mar 9 23:36:39 2006

Hello Geoff,

I found the following table in "The orbit, atmospheric dynamics, and initial mass of the Park Forest meteorite" paper by P. BROWN, D. PACK, W. N. EDWARDS, D. O. REVELLE, B. B. YOO,
R. E. SPALDING, and E. TAGLIAFERRI7, which was published in Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39, Nr 11, 1781–1796 (2004).

Table 1. Velocities calculated from features in visible and
infrared space sensor data.
Altitude range (km) Velocity (km/s)
37–29 20 ± 1
37–22 17 ± 1
29–22 14 ± 1

If your work is going to be specifically about the Park Forest fall, or have it as a significant part of the work, I'd be interested in reading it when it's finished.

Hope this helps.

Dave Johnson

You wrote:

"Greetings All:

Anyone know if a study has been made regarding velocity of the Park
Forest fireball? I read/heard somewhere that the PF fireball was
thought to be traveling at a "higher than normal velocity." Any more
info on that, or any links to a published work regarding its entry
velocity? This is research for something I'm writing.

Any info much appreciated, even theories or speculation.

I also heard the sonic boom here in Tucson last night, which Mike
Farmer reported. Didn't see anything in the papers this morning,
though.

Regards,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org"