[meteorite-list] RED RAIN related

From: Kevin Forbes <vk3ukf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 16:31:26 2006

Red Rain related.

The Inevitability of Life

http://www.jrmooneyham.com/ctctlif.html

Red rain

http://www.strangemag.com/massive.red.rainshow.html

Ehrenberg estimated that 720,000 lbs. of matter fell during a single shower,
on October 17, 1846, near Lyons, France;

and that 1/8th of the fall--90,000 lbs.--was composed of microscopic diatoms
(Passat-staub und Blut-regen, 1847; and

Amer. Journal of Science, II. xi. 372).

Red rain

http://www.strangemag.com/redrain.html

A list of articles regarding red rain.

High altitude lifeforms and bacteria

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue299/labnotes.html

Wickramasinghe claims that the patterns of their occurrence—denser at higher
altitudes—indicate that they are falling

from above, rather than rising from beneath. He hopes to do an isotopic
analysis, which is difficult because the

samples are so small. But the isotope ratios for each element—slight
variations in the mass and composition of an

atom's nucleus—form a "planetary fingerprint" which will determine
conclusively whether the bacteria originated on

Earth or, as Wickramasinghe suspects, on a comet traveling through
interplanetary space

An even more controversial claim came from Naples University's D'Argenio,
who claimed in mid-2001 to have isolated

and revived bacteria he found in a 4.5-billion-year-old meteorite. "Their
genetic code is unlike any known on Earth,"

he told reporters. Then, in September 2002, astrobiologist Dirk
Schulze-Makuch from the University of Texas at El

Paso announced that some of the chemicals in the hot, dry, acidic atmosphere
of Venus looked a little suspicious.

There was not enough carbon monoxide (something Earthly bacteria eat), and
much too much hydrogen sulphide, sulphur

dioxide, and carbonyl sulphide—short-lived gases which don't normally stick
around unless replenished by bacteria.

It's not quite a smoking gun, but it's ... hard to explain.

The Negative Hydrogen Ion, aka Hydride Ion or Active Hydrogen
http://www.h-minus-ion.org/

Weather Almanac for September 1998 Living On the Air

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/almanac/arc_1998/98sep02.htm

In the 1960s, research by Malcolm Brown discovered living algae and other
microbes in the orographic clouds (clouds

forming when air moves over mountain summits) but none in the air above the
clouds. Since then, many other studies

have found lifeforms living high in the sky. Russian scientists, for
example, have collected microbes (bacteria and

fungi) between 58 and 75 km (36 - 47 miles) above the deserts of Kazakhstan.

Observations show that air masses over land contain approximately 500
bacteria per cubic metre of air; the

concentration falls over the ocean to about 50 out at 160 km (100 miles) out
from shore and to one per cubic metre in

the open ocean atmosphere. The census of aeroplankton species includes
viruses, approximately 1000 species of

bacteria, 40,000 varieties of fungi and hundreds of species of protozoa,
algae, mosses and liverworts that live some

part of their life cycle as aeroplankton.

Venus Atmosphere Temperature and Pressure Profiles
Temperatures for Influenza Habitability

http://www.datasync.com/~rsf1/vel/1918vpt.htm

(A speculative discussion about the possibility mamalian cell enzymes from
earth existing in the upper venusian

atmosphere is given at the end of this article.)

Microbes from Space
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/ss/stories/s219202.htm

Broadcast Saturday 2/12/00

Transcript:
Fred Hoyle: I don’t myself think that it’s very profitable to think in terms
of life having started you know, here on

the earth, and then together with my colleague in Cardiff, Professor
Wickramasinghe, we looked at alternative places

and we found to our astonishment that comets look as though they are very
suitable places to produce life.

Other evidence comes from a recent Indian high-altitude balloon flight.
Wickramasinghe says that samples taken at 16

kilometres altitude, way up in the stratosphere, reveal a micro-organism
that is not of this Earth. It seems to be a

novel strain of a bacteria genus that is common on Earth.
Scientists at NASA’s Astrobiology Institute have reacted cautiously,
pointing out that a large portion of Earth’s

microscopic species remain to be discovered. Indeed, many species ‘unlike
any other’ have been uncovered right here

on Earth in recent years. Also, in the eyes of aerobiologists, 16 kilometres
up may not be considered all that high.

After all, living fungal spores have been reported at altitudes of around 11
kilometres.
Other evidence comes from a recent Indian high-altitude balloon flight.
Wickramasinghe says that samples taken at 16

kilometres altitude, way up in the stratosphere, reveal a micro-organism
that is not of this Earth. It seems to be a

novel strain of a bacteria genus that is common on Earth.
Scientists at NASA’s Astrobiology Institute have reacted cautiously,
pointing out that a large portion of Earth’s

microscopic species remain to be discovered. Indeed, many species ‘unlike
any other’ have been uncovered right here

on Earth in recent years. Also, in the eyes of aerobiologists, 16 kilometres
up may not be considered all that high.

After all, living fungal spores have been reported at altitudes of around 11
kilometres.

And when you consider the sort of harsh conditions in which microbes have
been found to live - around deep ocean

volcanic vents, in the Antarctic ice and even inside nuclear reactors, is it
too far-fetched to believe that they

might survive inside rocks in space? It’ll be interesting to see what the
wider scientific community makes of

Wickramasinghe’s new claims.

Guests on this program:
Jonathan Nally
Editor, Sky and Space
80 Ebley Street
Bondi Junction NSW 2022
PO Box 1233
Bondi Junction NSW 2022
Tel: +61 (0)2 9369 3344
Fax: +61 (0)2 9369 3366

editor_at_skyandspace.com.au

Further information:
Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe
http://www.coseti.org/wickrama.htm

NASA Astrobiology Institute
http://nai.arc.nasa.gov/

Limits of Life on Earth: Are They the Key to Life on Other Planets?

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1997/pr9761/pr9761.txt

Ground Zero Genesis

http://www.clydelewis.com/dis/genesis/genesis.shtml