AW: [meteorite-list] Clear Coat Iron Slices?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Mar 14 10:30:14 2006

Hi Walter,

how could you dare!!
Only one meteorite related topic per week please :-)

A coating is a better rust protection than keeping slices oiled.
Nevertheless I use coatings only in cases, where oiling doesn't help,
as the slices aren't looking so pretty after a coating. They get unnaturally
shiny and fine details like Neumann lines are with the then different
refraction of the light aren't so well visible anymore.
And as a primitive, haptically oriented guy, I don't like, if smth is
inbetween me and my meteorite.

Any clear varnish will work, important is only, that it is soluble in
acetone (most are), so that it can easily be removed, if the slice starts
again to rust.

A hint, if the coating is to glossy, just wipe it a little bit with a cloth
soaked in acetone, it will get more dull.
Second hint, let the varnish slowly harden. Don't use a hair-dryer as it
will get hard first on the surface and the layers below will get little
cracks, which doesn't look fine.

Buckleboo!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----