[meteorite-list] Clear Coat Iron Slices?

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Mar 15 18:10:42 2006

Hi Walter et al,

Yes I found early on that coatings don't seem to be all that effective
as they are not actually airtight, moisture is trapped in but can get
out but the air can, it's basically the water, oxygen, chlorides and
salts inside the rock which react with water vapor to cause rusting, A
thin wipe over with gun oil or lithium grease on iron slices (then wipe
it clean) is about as good as it gets, unless you start treating them
with sodium hydroxide solution or sodium carbonate solution or the
aluminum electrolytic method that is doing the rounds. These treatments
work really well by neutralizing the salts inside the rocks etc,

I did a trial on some steel squares sat in a small amount of water a few
years ago, and by far, the Li Grease coated iron survived the longest,
the spray coating broke down after a few months and rust spots appeared,
the untreated one went rusty within days!

Campos seem to respond especially well, I have many kilos of campo in my
collection that are as mint as the day they arrived after the NaOH
treatment.

And as always *gloves when handling them* :( , and keep desiccant (such
as silica gel in the cabinet to keep the air dry, but don't forget to
recharge/renew it regularly!.

Best
Mark Ford