[meteorite-list] F-15s Did Not Cause Booms Over Oregon Air Guard Says

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Mar 16 18:08:40 2006

http://www.katu.com/stories/84179.html

F-15s Did Not Cause Booms Air Guard Says
By KATU.com Web Staff
March 15, 2006

PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Air National Guard says they do not
believe F-15 fighters are to blame for loud booms heard throughout our
area on Saturday.

The Air National Guard checked Portland's flight track and determined
jets were conducting training flights over the Northwest when a series
of strange rumbling noises hit.

However, the two jets that broke the sound barrier were over the ocean
and pointing west. That sonic boom would not have traveled more than 20
miles.

As for jets headed for Portland, the Air National Guard says they were
on approach and flying far too slow to cause a boom.

"If it was us, we'll confess and make sure we look at procedures and
make sure it doesn't happen again," said Captain Misti Mazzia "We care
about not leaving any noise footprint on our community."

Many people on base heard the noise as well, but say it was much
different than a sonic boom.

The Air National Guard will now check Seattle's flight track to see if
any other jets may have been flying at the time.