[meteorite-list] Water fun

From: Meteoriteshow <meteoriteshow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 22:17:17 2006

Hi Marcin, Pete and All,

Yes Marcin, many thanks for sharing those information.
As I already wrote in my previous e-mail about this topic, I have tried it about three years ago and didn't mention it to the List
at that time as I did not go any further in this direction... Water jet cutting is VERY WELL ADAPTED to HOMOGENEOUS & THIN
MATERIALS -the harder they are, the best it is. As soon as you want to cut SLICES and/or a HETEROGENEOUS material, then it is
getting much more difficult with water jet.
1- the water jet will remove more material when getting through softer material and less when material gets harder. The cutting
surface will then not be flat, causing high losses when polishing
2- the water jet is conical, very narrow at the beginning and then getting wider. It is therefore very adapted to cutting parts from
thin plates -such as gears for instance- with a very high accuracy. But when cutting a thick material such as a meteorite stone, you
cannot obtain slices with parallel surfaces.

In addition to this, I didn't see any debris container to collect what is taken off. And even if there was such a device, the
company where I tried water jet cutting was using a mixture of water and sand to cut. They could adjust the amount of sand to be
mixed with water and could also cut without any sand. But in this case, cutting was less accurate and much slower. So if cutting
with water and sand, the debris that could be collected would be a mixture of sand and meteorite.

Cheers,

Frederic Beroud
http://www.meteoriteshow.com
IMCA member # 2491 (http://www.imca.cc/)