[meteorite-list] crop circles.....ho ho ho!!

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 1 20:09:53 2006

Hi folks,

.always makes me laugh, these poor deluded souls who believe that crop
circles are some sort of "phenomena". Truth is, it was a stunt set up in
the Eighties by two oldish chaps (sadly one since passed away) in a pub in
Wiltshire in southern England, not far from where I live, which is why they
always used to appear in cornfields here down south in UK.

I have seen why they did them ("a p*ssed-up prank after the pubs were shut")
 seen them demonstrate how they make them, and know that they have told
hundreds of people how to make them - the basics required are a metre of 4
by 2 wood and a piece of rope attached to each end and a sense of humour.

I have seen these guys put together the most remarkable "symbols" in a
matter of about an hour - on their own admission, the really complicated
ones would take an night to do, so if they wanted several to appear
simultaneously, they would get a posse together to go to other fields.

Surely one of the greatest hoaxes ever pulled - and what makes it even
funnier is the fact that there are people out there who STILL believe that
there are "other forces at work....".

The sad side is was that it DID damage the farmers' crops, and the wandering
space hippies and pseudo scientists that traipsed in with their divining
rods and magnetometers &c. didn't exactly help!

Humans will grab at any sort of 'Deus ex Machina' won't they?

Just my 2 cosmic vibes' worth....

dave

IMCA #0092