[meteorite-list] analysis of an ultrarefractory material from Granada, CO

From: ken newton <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 3 00:45:07 2006

(Sorry if this is a duplicate)
Mr Ray,
Thanks for the update on your research, I hope you can complete your
studies and reveal the true origin of your 'slag' material.

I am the writer of most of the 'negative posts' in response to the same
reasons that I have also written you. You mention that you never
attempted to sell this material as a lunar meteorite but you left out
the part about how you have sold ($10,000/gr) this same material as you
describe as "Chicxulub meteorite (0.116 g) comes with COA/
guarantee...as well as greater than 10% of the original chondrite
meteor" (ex. see eBay auction -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6601599997) Did
persons that purchased the material realize that they were buying a
theory with a worthless COA?

The meteorite community is dependent on trust. Persons who claim to have
special meteoritic material yet fail to prove their claims with
independent verification are not trusted and rightly so. You say you
have been unfairly treated. In my opinion you didn't learn from your
first rush to judgment ('Analysis ... suggests a lunar origin'). I for
one am upset that you have cast a shadow on competent researchers and
honest sellers by prematurely selling suspect material as "Chicxulub
meteorite...greater than 10% of the original chondrite meteor." (even
now you openly admit "it MAY have originated as a melt product from
Chicxulub")

Prove it first with solid research, let peer reviews and independent
analysis verify your theory as fact, and then sell it with the well
earned support of the meteorite community. Just my opinion.

Sincerely,
Ken Newton
http://home.earthlink.net/~ebaywrong/auction/Chicxulub.html