[meteorite-list] Ad- "Space Onion" and more NWA 4040

From: Stefan Ralew <stefan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 4 12:07:13 2006

Dear List Members,

in the last year I had shown a very strange object to the list which was
then named the "cosmic onion" by some list members. It is one of the
strangest objects that had ever seen in a meteorite. I have sawed many
kilograms of meteorite during the last years, but have never found something
like this. There are only two full slices available with this feature and
there were very much interest for one of this pieces. Many collectors had
asked me if I`m willing to sell this unusual specimen. Now I have decided to
offer one of the two slices at an Ebay auction and let the value of the
piece estimate by the market. All interested collectors can take a look and
place a bid under thefollowing link.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6626988866&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:DE:11
The other half of the "onion" I will keep possibly for my own collection. It
would be very hard for me to give at away at the moment.
Furthermore I have built a webpage on which I offer some more slices of many
different sizes of this amazing meteorite. NWA 4040 is a L3 breccia of the
superlatives which I have never seen before. One can find many differnt
lithologies, for example conglomerates of tiny chondrules that are embedded
in a dark ground mass which remembers me on carbonaceous chondrites. There
are also equilibrated areas and up to 4 cm large bright and dark inclusions
and many other small inclusions and fragments. Particulary under the
microscope it is a big fun to look at all these features, one can find more
and more interesting objects. I my opinion this is oustanding chondritic
material and an important addition for every meteorite collection. On the
following webpage I have to offer pieces in various sizes, from large museum
grade slices to smaller part slices. Most of the slices are polished on both
sides to create stable and valueable collection pieces. I have calculated
the prizes very collector friendly for this kind of material and quality,
only $8 / gm.
http://www.meteoriten.com/special.html

Best wishes,
Stefan Ralew