[meteorite-list] Earth collision from Comet fragments

From: lakewind_at_infionline.net <lakewind_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 4 13:16:23 2006

Don and all,
The comets are all at safe distance of about 9 million miles from Earth.
That's as close as they're going to get. A couple of other comets and
especially asteroids have come considerably closer in the past with no ill
effects. If you haven't seen 73P Schwassmann-Wachmann 3, go to
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/comets/article_1704_1.asp for
a chart, grab your binoculars and take a look. Under a dark sky the one
comet (C component) shows a delicate and beautiful tail with binoculars.
Happy clear skies,
Bob