[meteorite-list] doing the rounds....!

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 4 16:13:05 2006

Hi,
Like our member Rob, I too have just had a very enjoyable opportunity to do
a presentation to 11-12 year olds on the wonders of Gravity, space and
meteorites.
I bought along quite a few specimens and also my stereo binocular meteorite
so they can check out the stuff from close quarters.
Well, I have to say it was a great response - I have been asked to come back
again, and also to do other schools - I even got asked for my autograph
(which is a first!).
I gave everyone inthe class a decent chunk of unclassified NWA to take home
with them and told them about my "currently-being-classified" CV3 (prov.
NWA 3216) I discovered in my stash of space rocks, and let them have a good
look under the 'scope at them too.
The teachers took lots of photos but I have to pick the best then seek the
parents permission to publish them on the web as there is paedophile
paranoia so strong here in the UK that I would be required by law to
pixilllate out everyone's face save my own! Hardly a great way of showing
the kids enjoying themselves, but there you go - so when I;ve picked the
best, got permission and so on, I'll put out a link to them.

I received a wonderful card back from the school (completely spontaneous)
and I am releived that I didn't launch into my spiel re Galileo and the
treatment he received from the Cathlic Church and that it too until 10 years
ago or so for them to 'forgive' him formally - this was a very Catholic
school and my rant would have got me excommunicated!!

I really enjoyd their enthusiasm and felt so much better for having done it
- when I get some more unk rocks, I'll do it again!

Educate and inspire.... my motto!!

Best!

dave
IMCA #0092