AW: [meteorite-list] Self Proclaimed Pairings Issues (SPPI)

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 5 19:15:15 2006

Shalala.

Mainly for a dealer it is a economical decision, whether a stone has to be
classified.
Classification means: To deposite a share of 20% or 20g, to wait a year++
until a stone is ready for sale or to pay for the classification.

A collector has to think about the abilities of a seller, to judge whether a
stone is paired or not and then he might get a stone cheaper than the same
classified material.
But be told, that out there are amateur dealers, to which I could give a
piece of the curbstone in front of my house, which, if they would be told,
that it is a nakhlite, they would sell it as a nakhlite.

Also if the seller has it from the same source like the seller, who let the
material properly classify, you never can't be sure.

I remember Besedin asking about the Marses paired to NWA 1110.
Voil? take this page:
http://www.meteorites-r-us.com/subcategory.cfm?subcat_id=221

" These individual fragments still exhibit the orange-ish desert coating
proving..."

Folks, Stefan and me took most probably from the same source as many others
did, those Marses.
This Nelson Oakes was even to lazy to clean his crumbs, states by his own
decision, that his pieces are paired with NWA 1110, avoides hence the loss
and costs by classification and asks 800$/g.

We carefully cleaned each crumb we received from our source and a quarter of
the material turned out to be limestone, after the dirt crust was removed.
Our material we had let classified. We gave the 20% deposit share, we paid
for the thin section and the analyses
and finally, because the classification wasn't done yet, although with our
own ability and under the microscope we saw, that the sorted out pieces were
indeed Mars, we asked 300$/g of course with the guarantee to take the
specimens back with full refund, if they would turn out not to be that, as
what we sold them.

Buy from this Oakes, who has a certain reputation, and you can't be sure,
whether you get a limestone and that you pay for that 3 times more, although
he was to scrooge to bear the expences for the classification.

I think, that's what Greg wanted to express.

Of course you can have luck and get the real McCoy, if you take an
unclassified piece, wherefrom the seller claims, that it is paired with a
known number,
but also be aware that you might not get that, what you have paid for.

So we reduce that question to the old sentence:
Know your sellers.

Buckleboo
Martin

PS: This is no ad, our Marses were sold out months ago.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----