[meteorite-list] RE: Self-Proclaimed Pairing Issues

From: mark ford <markf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 8 07:32:02 2006

Hi Walter,

 There would be no problem reselling anything trademarked, if it was
originally bought from the registered trademark owner, then you are just
reselling the item. (Just as you don't get sued every time you trade in
your car). + Shops don't get sued for selling trademarked goods do they?

Breaking it up would be no problem either, it just a 'piece of something
that is trademarked'. (Proving it is another story, so accurate records
would be essential to prove the origin of the piece).

I am not an expert but, I suspect the reason that Intel had problems
trade marking the x86 range of processors is the category they used -
'Computer Electronics', many things in the electronics industry have
numbers, and 586 686 etc are all used extensively in other products, as
IC numbers. So there would be chaos, they wouldn't be able to prove that
the x86 numbers were not already used therefore they couldn't claim sole
use.

The way trade marking works is you assign a trademark to a particular
subject or CATEGORY (eg, scientific, medical, computers or information
service) and providing you don't use the trademark outside it's intended
category then it is protected.

I could however make a medical device called 'Windows' or a 'Pentium'
arm chair, but couldn't I make a microchip called a Pentium, as the word
'Pentium' for use in computer electronics is trademarked. (just an
example).

Best,
Mark Ford