[meteorite-list] Re: Clowns . was Self Proclaimed Pairings Issues (SPPI)

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 8 09:49:45 2006

Peer review often does not take the form of majority opinion. If
only one person on a panel finds a "fatal" or other serious flaw, the
person serving as Editor (i.e., Judge) may ask for revision or even
reject a submission. It depends on what is wrong.

No, I don't think there is such a thing as incontrovertible
data. Some observations do not stand the test of time for
reproducibility. Other data may be the result of a poorly done
experiment and so may have little value (something that may be caught
during peer review). It is true that a contribution to the Bulletin
or other publication may be rejected for a reason other than the
quality of the data (e.g., the analysis of olivine was done properly,
but the classification was not). In this case, it may be unfortunate
that the data themselves don't make it into print. But usually, in
the case of the Bulletin, these situations can be resolved by a short
interval in which revisions are made by the submitter.

Jeff