[meteorite-list] Gifhorn, Money and Personal Thoughts

From: Ingo Herkstroeter <metopaster_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 9 04:55:16 2006

Hi Marcin and List!

Sure, money (and profit also) is important for meteorites! If meteorites
wouldn?t have a value for collectors, the NWA rush hadn?t took place and a
lot of very interesting material wouldn?t have been discovered for science!

But: There are a lot of people out there (mostly scientists), who think,
that meteorites don?t belong into collectors hands (like artifacts and so
on...). I don?t think so! Science wouldn?t have the possibility to get this
rar stuff, if there would?t be the market and one thing is clear: the market
is there, cause there are collectors, so the market is primary for
collectors too. But I think we have a type of responsibility how we treat
the material too!
Most of us are dealing a little bit to refinance our hobby (so do I), some
are dealing professional, that?s no problem for me! I have a problem with
dealers or dealing collectors, who cut (or even break) their material into
smallest (mostly subgram range) pieces to maximate their profit! This can
NOT be the way to go!!!
Clear, a meteorite has to be cutted or maybe sliced up total for resell!
But, is it OK if I cut a beautiful slice into 2...3....4....5....6..... part
slices, which don?t show this beauty or the special texture of this
material, only to have a better or easier resell? For me it isn?t OK!!!

I think: Cutting YES, if the piece will win a little bit, but NOT for
profit!

Have a look into german ebay and you will see what I mean..........

to Gifhorn:

Marcin, you are right and I can understand your opinion! I know also, that
there are a lot of faults in planing or in the application of this fair! But
one thing is clear: Dealers only come to a fair, if they could make a
profit, which is in relation to their costs, this means, we need clients!
But clients only only visit a fair, if they think, there are a lot material
to see and buy, so they need dealers! It?s a vicious circle!

So what can the meteorite community do? First of all, we can write Mr.
Bartoschewitz some e-mails, to show him what?s wrong (date, application,
etc.)! We should try to visit the fair if possible...... and so on! We have
to do everything, that will Gifhorn let grow......

Just my two (noncommercial) Euro-Cents! :)

Ingo

 --- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---

--
Analog-/ISDN-Nutzer sparen mit GMX SmartSurfer bis zu 70%!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer