AW: AW: [meteorite-list] insomnia can cause clouding of consciousness

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 9 15:43:04 2006

Contra, Stan!
you are speaking from that era, when almost nobody was collecting meteorites
and there were worldwide 5 dealers, hence no market, the golden age of the
70ies and partially 80ies, when there was so few interest in meteorites,
that there wasn't a market at all and the prices even lower than in the
1880ies.
You are right, when you're telling, that in the 90ies the prices grew
enormously - main factor, I think, was the upcoming internet and with it,
the increasing number of collectors. Before almost every collector and every
dealer, they all knew eachother in person (but not Martin, the kid).
But the development of internet is irreversible, so those times are gone.

"it was no
where nearly as easy to pick up a 5kg ureilitie".

Well said, to illustrate it:
Dingo Pup Donga, Dyalpur, Hajmah(a), Goalpara, Haver?, Lahrauli, Nilpena,
North Haig, Novo-Urei had altogether 9kg.
And else existed only Kenna with it's 10.7kg, wherefrom you could get your
specimen and if you were extremely clever and lucky perhaps a historical
crumb from Goalpara. That was it. And this we can exercise with all rare
types.

Nowadays Buckleboo-Martin was offering an Ure with 2.5$/g and he couldn't
get rid of it, while 5-6 years ago, you had to pay 80-400$ for the first
DaGs; 170-400$/g for the SAH-UREs, 350-900$/g for Goalpara.

What would Stan have done, if he needed an R for his collection?
Would he have paid 10$/g like today? No, he wouldn't have had any other
choice, then to run to the Labennes to pay there 600$/g for their SAHs, (or
to Sinclair at 750$).

And what, if he would have felt a hunger for Moon? Hmm, ask Blaine, what he
took for his first Moons, the alternative would have been to beg the MASTER
on the knees to sell you a gram of Calcalong for 1 Mega$ and more.
Make your homework and check the years of find/fall to see, how mere the
assortment of the market was.
Hah! When the famous HaH 237 was coming out first, even a collector from USA
paid the European, who had it, the flight&hotel only for showing him the
stone!

Man, Stan! Before desert with all rare types you had the choice between Zero
and 1-3 stones and you simply had to take, what you were offered, for
getting any at all into your collection.
I would estimate, that there were not more than 100 different locales
permanently available at all. Nowadays you have thousands to choose from.
Of course there were also some meteorites, which were ridiculous cheap
compared with today, take e.g. Allende, but others costed a lot more than
today. Sikhote, when it became available. Chinga. Munionalusta. Campo and so
on.

And all in all, even if you would have been a multimillionaire, it would
have been absolutely impossible for you, to built up a collection comparable
to that, what you have now, Stan.

Meow,
In writing this lines, two things came up in my mind:
Wasn't there an ureilite called "Bartail"? Never heard again from, or was it
a hoax from Casper?
And, there is so much literature by and about Nininger - do there anywhere
exist pricelists from him?

Buckleboo!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----