[meteorite-list] Quesations and AD - Bilanga

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 10 00:48:58 2006

Hello All,

Anne posted an add for AWESOME piece of Bilanga....

>Hello List,
>
>As you might have noticed, I now have a lot of
>great pieces in stock. And getting more.
>
>But there is a piece that really surprised me. Take
>a look at it:
>
>http://www.impactika.com/Meteorities/jhbilang.htm
>
>Have you ever seen a Bilanga looking like that? I mean, there a cute
>little crystal. It looks just
>like quartz, but yes, I know, no quartz in meteorites. So what is it? And
>all that metal, and the brecciation. It is a fragment so there must be
>other
> pieces like it out there. Have you see any?
>The owner, who would rather stay anonymous, bought
>it right after the fall from a meteorite dealer who has now moved on to
>other fields.
>
>Oh yeah, it is for sale, so that makes it an AD,
>but I still would like to know more about that weird Bilanga.
>Anybody?

So of course we were welcomed to a Matteo comment on pricing.

"I know only Bob Haag have put a Bilanga slice on ebay
days ago with crust and its go sold for $13.7/gr. and
not for $54/gr.

Matteo"

You are funny Matteo. You complain "the market is ruin" and then make
comments like the above, while you yourself have some of the highest prices
on meteorites.

Did Haag's piece have nice crust like that? Did Haag's piece have the nice
crystal as shown by Anne's great photos? Was Haag's piece over 100 grams
(which is something you rarely ever see)? Likely not. That specimen should
command a premium.

I guess this just goes along with your market in ruin theory. Like you
should be able to buy a meteorite like Park Forest for $4.00 a gram, when it
was being retailed at $30 a gram....and you wanted $50 a gram.

Perhaps Martin should repost his price comparison list on what you want and
what others want for the same meteorite.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
www.meteoritearticles.com