[meteorite-list] New to the hobby

From: David & Kitt Deyarmin <bobadebt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu May 11 12:07:16 2006

About month ago I discovered that you could buy meteorites, as silly as it might sound I just never realized that they were available.

Ever since I was a child I have wanted one and now I have discovered that there are many to chose from, too many :)

So I have started a collection, so far I have a 2" Gibeon Sphere, a 2" NWA 869 Sphere, a 2" x 2" x 1/8" Brahin Square and a 3 1/2 pound raw Campo.

You can see a picture of my collection (don't laugh) by clicking this http://home.ec.rr.com/bobadebt/Humble.jpg

I would like add a lot of 2" square slices to my collection but I have discovered that the size I chose is somewhat hard to locate, however, it's the size I want to go with for 2 reasons

I feel it's the smallest size that can accurately represent the internal structure of a raw meteorite.

I have a vision of what my collection will look like as it grows and a few of the displays will have to be interchangeable.

A standard size would work the best for my displays, here is a picture of an illuminate display base I made for my 2" square of Brahin http://home.ec.rr.com/bobadebt/Brahin 2.jpg

Of course I could have purchased a full cut slice and made a custom felt lined insert for it but then that display would only work for that one piece.

I kind of want my most recent addition to be the center piece of the collection and as I obtain different samples the older specimens will get moved to other displays.

So now that you know a little about me and what I am looking for a I have a few questions and requests.

1. If you have any slices in the 2" x 2" x 1/8" range, it can be larger, since I can cut them down, that you are interested in selling send an email to bobadebt_at_ec.rr.com

2. Is it a bad idea to have a very small identification mark laser engraved on the back of the sample?

3. Does anyone know where I can buy 10-14" blades more suited for cutting meteorites?

4. Does anyone have a tutorial on how to properly etch iron slices?

Any help of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks