[meteorite-list] Re: The other Brenham hunter

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 12 00:21:10 2006

Darren posted:

> Meteorites mark fields of dreams
> By Judy Keen, USA TODAY

Sorry, I cannot help making fun of this : )

So . . . I propose that we change the name of Kiowa County, KS to
Copycat County, KS.

My article on Steve's Brenham finds in the (current) February issue of
"Meteorite" is entitled: "Field of Dreams: Rediscovering the Brenham
Pallasite." Notice any similarity to "Meteorites Mark Fields of
Dreams"?

Steve, you showed Keen the current issue of "M" during your interview
right? What a shameless swipe! The real headline here should be: "USA
Today Journalist Unable to Come Up with Original Story Idea."

> Don Stimpson peers into a 3-foot-deep hole on his farm as
> friends help dig up a 150-pound meteorite. "Interesting shape," he
> says. The new
> find will join the collection of meteorites sitting on foil-covered
> chairs in his garage.

Well, at least he knows how to to display them properly.

Stimpson (owner of the land which contains the Brenham "crater") has
been doing little or nothing to locate new Brenham pallasites during
the past ten years. Once Steve and Phil figured out how to find the
deeply-buried Brenhams with new techniques and technology, Stimpson
copied them, and has been trying to jump on their bandwagon ever since.
It's unfortunate that Steve did all the groundbreaking work at Brenham,
yet this journalist decided to focus on the hapless Stimpson.

> He'd like to give tours of his excavation sites, where small plastic
> swimming pools cover the impressions made when the meteorites

Gee, I can't wait to see that. A plastic swimming pool cover will
surely allow visitors to experience the full excitement of unearthing a
meteorite. Maybe he could have little newts swimming around in the
pools as well. And everyone could wear those caps with the funny
propellors.

I expect Stimpson will now get to work on his new website:
www.BrenhamMeteoriteCompanyClone.com

My Mom always used to tell me that imitation was the sincerest form of
flattery. I just call it laziness.

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org