[meteorite-list] Re: The other Brenham hunter

From: Jim Strope <nwa482_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 12 09:26:21 2006

 "new techiniques and technology"

Imilac Strewnfield, April 2000:
http://www.catchafallingstar.com/imilac/imilacatv.JPG

Jim Strope
421 Fourth Street
Glen Dale, WV 26038

http://www.catchafallingstar.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren Garrison" <cynapse_at_charter.net>
To: <meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Re: The other Brenham hunter

On Thu, 11 May 2006 21:50:56 -0700, you wrote:

>The thing is, I wouldn't have spent the first ten years sitting on my
>backside when there were meteorites in the ground. I would have figured
>out a way to find them, or asked Steve Arnold to come find them for me

But you said it yourself-- Steve used "new techiniques and technology". So
what
was possible now might not have been feasible 10 years ago. If finding them
10
years ago required, say, using heavy equipment to dig the whole feild down
to 10
feet then sift through the whole mess with mining equipment, then you can't
fault him for not doing it then. So I can't fault him for not having the
creativity/equipment to do it 10 years ago, and I can't fault him for
starting
to look for them now. I only fault him for attempting to cash in on some of
the
attention and the glory now.

I'd like to see what would happen if more people adopted Steve's equipment
and
methods and started "cold searching" random plots of land. No doubt if
enough
people did it enough places, some of those searches would come up with new
finds.