[meteorite-list] Patina

From: Gary K. Foote <gary_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 12 10:25:10 2006

Thanks Doug, for your thoughtful analysis. I had a piece of campo with an unusual shape
that came to me rusty and not looking like it was going to stop rusting. I took a wire
brush to it and removed the rust and now have a specimen that still shows flight details
and has nearly no rust. The only drawback is that I had to expose the high spots right
down to shiny metal to get the rust out of the low spots. I'm sure I lost some material,
but think it was minimal.

I've seen pallasites chopped up into medallions and such on ebay and think that kind of
manipulation is over the line, but I believe that what I have done makes the specimen
more 'enjoyable' to view. If you would like to see pics of before and after the links
are below;

Before: http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/campo-the-hand-600.jpg

After: http://www.meteorite-dealers.com/images/campohand-wirebrushed.jpg

Gary