[meteorite-list] Giant Asteroid Fragment Makes Impact

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 13 02:01:38 2006

Hi,

    Two things I don't believe in: coincidences and
leprechauns.

    OK, I could be wrong about the coincidence, but I'm
right about the leprechauns, aren't I?

    I wrote: "But Morokwong is a buried crater, not visible
on the surface. It is in fact only visualized by magnetic and
gravitational anomalies."

    A summary of the geology can be found at:
http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/images/morokweng.htm

    An analysis of the meteoritic content of the impact melt
can be found at:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2000/pdf/1595.pdf

    Tentatively, the impactor has been identified as an L chondrite:
www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/impact2000/pdf/3048.pdf

    Hopefully, a comparison of the found fragment with the
impact melt composition anomalies will rule it in or out. If
it WAS a coincidence, I'm still on the beam with the
leprechauns, right?

Sterling K. Webb