[meteorite-list] Re: The other Brenham hunter

From: R. N. Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 13 20:19:50 2006

Case in point: I was the first person to decide to search Dry Lakes for
meteorites, and this turned up the Lucerne Dry Lake (CA) finds, the initial
find on July 21, 1963. No one else seemed to very much care about hunting
on Dry Lakes then. Many hours were spent searching a number of Dry Lakes in
California, and several overlapping finds were discovered on Lucerne.
(Documentation on my Lucerne website; follow the link to my meteorite
website at the top of my homepage at www.membranebox.com and then to the
Lucerne DryLake Research website). Its all there along with the preliminary
announcement as it appeared in METEORITICS.

Finally, about 35 years later others got the idea, and from the success on
Lucerne, virtually all dry lakes in Ca, NV and AZ have now been searched
square foot by square foot and over searched again and again. This has
yielded more science about the properties of on dry lake resurfacing than
even about the many meteorites found on them. We have learned some of the
reasons why and how the DL surfaces change over time, and some of the
dynamics involved in movement of material to and around on their surfaces.
We have learned why a meteorite may not be visible on the surface of a dry
lake, but years later may appear. We have learned that in most cases there
are overlapping fields; (even on LDL there are more overlapping fields than
on any other dry lake so far searched...H's. L's, LL's CK4's, etc. This has
given us some ideas about the actual abundances of fallen meteorites on
Earth in terms of overlapping falls...if ever we could find them in less
obvious places.) Am I to complain because someone else decided to follow
my initial idea? Of course not! First of all it is not my property.
Secondly, more hunting by more people has yielded more science. For decades
meteorites have been found around the site of the Haviland Crater. In 1983
Haag and others found some very big meteorites there with dish detectors.
Perhaps noone got the idea that deep searching detectors might be a good
idea, and I'm sure that such are much improved now, but on the other hand a
land owner has every right to manage his land as he sees fit. Who was the
first to go to Morocco? (I will answer my own question!) Cottingham and
Farmer. Was it worng for everyone else to follow? Not at all (although it
might have been better for the good of meteoritics if there had been some
organization and a few ground rules). So it seems to me that any
complaining about someone hunting on his own land is nonproductive...really
a bit silly!

My opinion!

Ron Hartman