[meteorite-list] Re: Chondrules

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon May 15 18:47:16 2006

Well, My understanding is that normal glass is at
about 5.5 and steel around 6.5 on the Moh scale.

My own experience is that a chondrule rich meteorite
will dull a steel file fairly quicky and I'd imagine
that despite chondrules being supposed to be glass,
they are much harder than terrestrial glass and it is
the silicates which allow meteorite friability.

I have not heard of a chondrule study but I don't
think they'd be less than 6.0 on the Moh scale.

Rob McC