[meteorite-list] Re: The other Brenham hunter

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 16 00:09:53 2006

In a message dated 5/12/2006 12:34:36 P.M. Central Standard Time,
MexicoDoug_at_aol.com writes:

Only Steve (AR), Phil, Geoff, Don and Sheila Stimpson, USA today and maybe
the mayor of Haviland know best what is going on here.

Hello List,

Sorry I am late in posting, as I have been off line for a well over a week
now.

First off, I want to express my sincere appreciation to Don Stimpson for
waiting well over 10 years to start hunting his land for meteorites. That gave
me an opportunity to come in and start hunting and finding first. No hard
feelings from me on his delay in getting started. Of course if he wants to now
hunt his own land, which he did buy over a decade ago for the purpose of
hunting and building a tourist site out of, that is good for him. I don't think
anyone thinks he can build a "Canyon Diablo Meteor Crater" type of tourist
center at his place, but if he can get anything going it probably would be a
good thing.

Second, the USA Today story was kind of weird. I think the reporter
intended to write one story ("Stimpson wants scientific attention brought to his
'crater'") then decided to change the theme of the story to the rivalry between
Haviland and Greensburg once some of those juicy details surfaced. Then,
with a deadline approaching, she kind of mixed the two stories together and
tossed in a little bit about me for good measure to get a hodge-podge of the
"tourism story" that was printed.

I asked the reporter how she came upon doing the story, and she said she had
read the Wichita Eagle story a couple of weeks before, and "just knew there
was more to the story." She had interviewed me a few days before over the
phone, then earlier that day had been at Stimpsons for a couple hours, and then
had just interviewed Stephenson the manager of the Big Well with me present.
 I then asked her what angle she was probably going to take with the story,
and she said she would most likely do it on the rivalry between Haviland and
Greensburg.

I am sure it is obvious to most that I would have rather had my photos and
more of my story published in USA Today, however the irony is that I don't
think ANYONE else is happy with how the story came out either.

I talked with the mayor of Haviland, the evening that the story ran and he
was a bit upset, mostly at the comments attributed to his so called
cross-county "rivals." The quotes he was bothered with were, in my opinion, taken out
of context as I was present when the reporter interviewed Stephenson. The
story also makes it look like the Mayor of Havilan is trying to steal the
meteorite museum idea from Greensburg.

I have not yet talked with the mayor of Greensburg or with director of the
Big Well since the story came out, but I am sure they would not be too happy
with being the ones misquoted either as it puts them in a bit of a negative
light.

Stimpson's main objective seems to be to gather attention to his so called
"crater" and yet there was not one word mentioned about it in the USA TODAY
story. Rather there is mention of him starting tours of plastic swimming pools
covering holes on his land. Then later he is quoted as saying "It is just a
rock...just holding it - that's the value." Then the story boldly claims
that his financially valuable 150 pound meteorite will join the collection of
other meteorites sitting in his garage. I am sure he has moved all of them
from his garage by now, but none of the area crack-heads needing quick cash will
know that until they try to break into his garage. It is hard to imagine
that Stimpson can be too happy with ALL that even with his photo on the page.

The citizens of both Greensburg and Haviland, while they acknowledge the
rivalry between the two communities, I am confident are not so excited to have
that rivalry and the negative spin be the primary focus of their one and only
exposure ever in "Section A" of USA TODAY!

Haviland wants to proclaim itself as "The Meteorite Capital of the U.S.A."
yet USA Today displays in their chart accompanying the story that 1,528 other
locations in the USA might have a similar claim. Good thing USA TODAY didn't
mention Hale County, Texas or Roosevelt County, New Mexico or Haviland's
bubble would have been really popped.

Geoff Notkin understandably joins the "not so happy crowd" getting his
headline hijacked.

I tired to console Haviland's Mayor by saying if it were a story without
some negative edge written into it, it would likely have not made it past the
editor's desk. And so I console myself, as well, along those same lines.
Maybe my story, or my angle on the Brenham Story is too old, or worn out for USA
Today by now? After all, they are 7 months late on covering the story! Or
maybe it just doesn't have enough of a negative edge to it? Whatever the
case, the way I see it, it's not worth being too upset over.

Obviously Stimpson's side of the story fits more with the tourism angle the
story. So if that story gets more exposure now for the Brenham Story, then
hey, at least it is exposure for all of us.

It is kind of sad that all of the other smaller newspapers, on much tighter
deadlines, as well as the TV programs have done a much better job of
reporting their stories than "The Nation's Newspaper" did. While the story could
have been written worse, at least their map of Kansas put Haviland and
Greensburg in the right place! You gotta give them credit where credit is due.

Steve Arnold

In a message dated 5/12/2006 12:34:36 P.M. Central Standard Time,