[meteorite-list] AD - 96 Auctions - Great Stuff - New Material!

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 16 15:09:18 2006

on 5/16/06 11:12 AM, Marcin Cimala - PolandMET at marcin_at_polandmet.com
wrote:
>> "Now who says that NWA meteorites are less worthy than others?"
> Ha, thats sentence that we should print and hang on the wall, to REMEMBER
> that we are collectors of METEORITES, not collectors of numbers, names,
> places, museum numbers or other odd things.
Hi Marcin and all,
        While I am delighted to see agreement on the value of the fine
meteorites coming out of NWA - especially those that are particularly
fresh and/or rare of type, I must add that not everyone relates to
meteorite collecting strictly on the bases of type. Many DO consider
pieces from famous museums and institutions, Nininger, etc. to be of
particular interest/value. Then there are those that ONLY collect
witnessed falls - as they have a distinctly added attribute of
being a social & historical as well as physical phenomena. And
certainly not to forget those of us who treasure most of all, those
specimens that actually struck man made objects, animals or, in
the case of Sylacauga, an actual human on their trips to this planet.
Many place very high value on falls that "made a difference" in man's
perceptions about meteorites.... IE: Ensisheim, etc.
        There are those that care only about type or only for witnessed
falls or only for historical pieces, etc, but it seems to me the vast
majority of collectors appreciate all of these facets of meteorites - just
in differing proportion as to the value they place on each aspect.
        Best wishes, Michael

--
"He is not a lover who does not love forever." - Euripides (485-406BC)