[meteorite-list] re: Mystery Surrounds Green Meteor in Australia

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 17 14:04:15 2006

I think that space junk is somewhat over represented in widely witnessed
fireballs just because it tends to come in slow and flat... lots of
territory covered, lots of time.

But certainly, it is usually easy to check for and an ordinary meteor is
much more likely. Reporters typically go to some local observatory or
university, and the astronomer interviewed probably knows little more about
meteors than any other educated person- which isn't much.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com