[meteorite-list] re: Mystery Surrounds Green Meteor in Australia

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 17 15:05:03 2006

Alexander Seidel wrote:
>> If you are refering to the SL-12 r/b 2003-060F (#28199): this reportedly
>> decayed on May 13th and nothing decayed since.
>
> I believe NORAD is fairly reliable with these informations, and then again
> most (if not all) of the classified near earth orbit satellites for military
> purposes, for which no two-line-element data sets from NASA are officially
> available, are under "visual control" from a bunch of dedicated satellite
> trackers worldwide

I fully agree with Alexander. Quit often, "after the fact" decay times are known
to the nearest minute (not in this case by the way, but 3 days is well outside
the uncertainty window).

- Marco

PS: As a saillant detail: I am actually one of those dedicated trackers which
Alexander mentions...

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek - SatTrackCam Leiden, Cospar 4353
Leiden, the Netherlands. 52.15412 N, 4.49081 E (WGS84), +0 m ASL

SatTrackCam: http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek/satcam.html
Station (b)log: http://sattrackcam.blogspot.com