[meteorite-list] Satellite Reentry Witness

From: Kevin Fly Hill <khill_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri May 19 14:21:08 2006

 "How many on this list have ever seen a satellite
reentry? I'd be surprised if the answer is more than one."

You might want to start with at least a startled look.

March 25, 1988. Big'un -- Discarded Soviet cargo vessel came in over Texas
(on it's way to Canada). Wildest thing I've ever seen in the sky.
Witnessed by about two hundred people in Tyler, Texas at public gathering.
This thing had reports in from all over the country. It was everything that
the Space Shuttle was except at night - A major piece with multiple chunks
giving off red, green and blue streaks. It moved South to North straight
overhead going down to the horizon. I had just turned to wave goodbye to
some friends as I was leaving a tour of historic homes -- The McClendon
Home, when I spotted the fireball. I began shouting to alert the other
folks and we all watched it slowly move off.