[meteorite-list] 1.2 Ton Mundrabilla Meteorite To Be Sliced Up for Research

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 24 22:20:37 2006

> Bohler-Uddenholm sales manager Warren Spencer said
> it would take about a week to carry out the job.

Mr. Spencer may be in for some surprises, especially because:
"It's the first time we've ever had to cut a meteorite, but
 basically it's a solid lump of iron with a few holes in it."

When the 6.1-ton Mundrabilla II was cut at the MPI Heidelberg more than 30
years ago, it took 188 (!) hours to cut the first slice from the 6.1-ton mass.
They used a 4-mm thick steel wire saw (covered with carborundum powder which
is about as hard as diamond). There will be new and better techniques nowadays
but "basically it's [not just] a solid lump of iron with a few holes in it!"

Bernd