[meteorite-list] (AD) Collector Card Series , an Observation

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Nov 1 19:31:25 2006

 Martin Altmann wrote:

> Why do you thing e.g. Robert Haag is a living
> legend? Because he collected
> and sold meteorites? Certainly not, others do so too
> - but he was a showman,
> using all opportunities to transport his enthusiasm
> and the breathtaking
> aspect of meteorites.
>
> So what the heck is wrong with such funny cards?
> They are a nice gimmick,
> and it's obsolete to discuss, whether the cutting
> dust inside has a
> scientific relevance or of which collector's value
> such "samples" may be.
>
> The important thing is, that every layman, who will
> get such a card in his
> hands, certainly won't put in the drawer as it is,
> but will start to learn
> about meteorites and will try to find out more about
> the stuff,

Hurrah! Well done Martin and well said. Personally, as
a collector, albeit smalltime, I don't care much for
there being more collectors. Competitons causes
inflated prices.

However, how many laypeople know that it is even
possible to own a real piece of the moon?

...But 10mg is such a small amount. So mount it on a
card and have it signed for authenticty (and lets be
honest, only those in the meteorite community know
whose signatures are worth the ink, any idiot could
make a certificate).

So what if they have little scientific value. I really
don't think it matters. If you trust the guy selling
the stuff, you can be sure it's the real thing.

I think they'd make wonderful gifts. Especially if the
recipient knows you love this stuff. They know you're
going to give them fair dinkum merchandise.

It's not about science. It's about making the public
aware that there's more to life than the latest mobile
phone technology, designer sofa, car, shoes, handbag
or lipgloss. Our "throwaway", "must-have-now",
hedonistic society needs to know that there is
something beyond the 2 mile high envelope of
oxygen-rich atmosphere we can inhabit.

At a time when people are sneering at the space
programme's finacial excesses, while they look through
the latest brochure for air-conditioning or
fitted-kitchens, it's worth remembering that there
isn't enough of this material to go around and remind
people that humanity is on a precipice between
survival and catastrophe!

I am aware of how I appear in the next phrase (so
don't e-mail me to call me a sycophant) but I'm going
to say it anyway...

Good work Adam, for making this stuff available, if
only there was more of it (ahh, who am I kidding? He
probably has and just seems to know what to sell it
for in future! Hey they guy's a businessman! Not
enough for everyone though. Still, I'm hoping to avoid
creep status by my last remark while simultaneously
not incurring the wrath of one of the biggest of the
"big boys". My wife doesn't understand my meteorite
obsession now! The last thing i need is a "charge this
git extra" premium. Who'd be a diplomat?)

Cheers Martin for pointing out the advantages of this
kind material

Rob McCafferty

P.S. I try to make my e-mail mildly entertaining. Hope
it worked. I'll try to be funnier next time